Have ever experienced tongue bleeding? Do you know the causes of tongue bleeding? This usually happen sometimes in the morning after brushing or after biting when eating, etc. Learn more on tongue bleeding including causes and treatments.
A bleeding tongue have several causes and some can be severe while others can be easily remedied. It\’s always a good idea to contact a doctor or dentist for a diagnosis and evaluation in case you are not sure what causes your tongue bleeding. Let us begin by looking at the causes of tongue bleeding.
Tongue bleeding causes or what causes tongue bleeding?
- Tongue bleeding causes or what causes tongue bleeding?
- Tongue bleeding after brushing
- Tongue bleeding for no reason
- Bit tongue bleeding or bit my tongue bleeding
- How to stop tongue bleeding or stop tongue bleeding
- Tongue bleeding spots
If you have this problem, some of the main causes of tongue bleeding include the following:
Tongue piercing can cause ruptured blood vessels in the tongue, swelling and infections, according to Dr. Donna Meltzer of the State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine. This will in turn cause some bleeding on your tongue.
It can cause unexplained bleeding from the tongue. Other symptoms include a red or white patch, a persistent sore throat, numbness in the tongue and ear pain. Smoking and chewing tobacco is the leading cause of tongue cancer.
Brushing the tongue can help control bad breath and prevent tooth decay. But it also can cause the tongue to bleed.
Chewing or biting of tongue are the injuries incurred while eating food, talking, etc. The injuries can be sore leading to loss of blood due to bleeding. Chewing slowly, avoiding gum chewing, and flossing daily can prevent some of these tongue bleeds.
Hot foods and drinks
Those people fond of taking hot foods or drinks are likely to experience bleeding tongue since it can trigger development of blisters which can burst to lead to bleeding. A thermal burn of the mouth or tongue can cause pain, blisters, peeling skin, and temporary loss of taste.
This condition can lead to bleeding of the tongue in the front, center, back and sides.
Angina bullosa hemorrhagica
It is a benign blood blistering disorder, generally affecting the sub epithelial mucosa of the oral cavity and the tongue. It is a rare blood blistering disorder affecting middle aged and elderly individuals. Males and females are equally affected with this disorder.
Sudden pinching of tongue between the teeth
This happens in stances where you are chew gums at a faster rate or where the tongue slides into the teeth then it is crushed until it bleeds.
Other common causes include:
- An allergic reaction due to food and medication can result into red bumps on the tongue.
- Nutritional deficiency
- Steroid inhalers used in asthma
- Eating hard food such as corn chips
Tongue bleeding after brushing
This happens when you are brushing or scraping your tongue with force such that it causes some injuries which in turn makes your tongue to start bleeding. You can experience tongue bleeding in the morning since this is the time many of you do brushing.
Also, in case your tongue had blisters that are filled with blood, brushing with force such that it creates a friction which also burst the blisters causing tongue bleeding.
In instances that your tongue experience overgrowth of yeast or bacteria, you are likely to have tongue bleeding since you will be tempted to scrap them up with force to remove them.
Tongue bleeding after brushing can also result due to disruption of healing wounds experienced from tongue bits during eating or chewing gums.
Tongue bleeding for no reason
Your tongue cannot bleed for not reason. There must be something underlying. This could be tongue corrosion due to excessive or overgrowth of yeast which can cause a lot of discomfort and even possibly bleeding. You would go see a doctor it might be the best.
If you experience tongue bleeding with no reason, then don’t take chances because it could be cancerous.
Bit tongue bleeding or bit my tongue bleeding
If you have bitten your tongue during either eating or chewing gums, follow the below steps to help deal with your bleeding tongue.
Clean the Bite
If you have been chewing or eating food, make sure you wash your tongue with clean water. Make sure the wound is clean and free of any debris.
Stop the Bleeding
Apply pressure on the wound site on the tongue using a gauze to stop bleeding.
Apply ice on the swelling site to create a numbing effect on the tongue. Intermittent application of a cool-to-cold pack or cloth should bring down the swelling.
Take a Pain Reliever
If the pain hurts, then take an over-the-counter pain reliever. If analgesics do not bother you, use aspirin or ibuprofen.
How to stop tongue bleeding or stop tongue bleeding
Tongue injuries can basically bleed a lot because there are a lot of blood vessels in the tongue. This is because the tongue is mostly muscle and requires a lot of blood flow. Here are tips to assist stop tongue bleeding:
Wash or clean your mouth with hydrogen peroxide or another antiseptic which helps to prevent infection, which can lead to serious complications.
Apply a cold compressor or ice on the wounded site to help slow blood flow and speed coagulation by wrapping a few ice cubes in a paper towel.
Apply gentle pressure using a clean piece of gauze to reduce blood oozing or swelling.
If this does not stop the bleeding, go to an emergency room or urgent care center, as you may need stitches.
Tongue bleeding spots
Tongue bleeding spots can be due to the following:
- Hard brushing or scraping of tongue
- Sudden pinching of the spot by the teeth when eating or chewing gums
- Eating hard foods such as corn ships
- Steroid inhale
- Tongue piercing
You may also like
- Bleeding During Intercourse, Vaginal, Cervical or Penile Causes IUD or Cancer
- Bleeding on Birth Control Shot, Patch, Pregnancy, Periods, Implant, Breastfeeding and Miscarriage Causes
- Eye Bleeding Meaning, Causes, Pictures, Pain, Redness, During Pregnancy and Treatments
- Ear Bleeding Causes, Itching Symptoms, In Toddler, Infected Piercing, Zits, Remedies and Treatments
- Bleeding Belly Button Causes, in Babies, Pregnancy from Inside and Smelly
- Tongue bleeding for no reason: http://symptomchecker.webmd.com/multiple-symptoms?symptoms=bleeding%7Csore-tongue&symptomids=244%7C540&locations=7%7C7
- Reasons for a Bleeding Tongue: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5806536_reasons-bleeding-tongue.html
- Tongue bleeding after eating: http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/67343.htm
- How to Stop a Bleeding Tongue: http://www.livestrong.com/article/24285-stop-bleeding-tongue/
- What causes your tongue to bleed? https://www.reference.com/health/causes-tongue-bleed-103954471ca51611
- The student room: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1779954
- Bleeding spots on my tongue? https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110228194423AA4p92W
- White Spot On The Tongue: Is It Serious? http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/conditions/mouth-sores-and-infections/article/white-spot-on-the-tongue-1215