How do I get rid of dark spots or can I get a good treatment for dark spots? Knowing how to clear dark spots is important because you can make a very significant step towards restoring an even and spotless and good looking skin. Learn more on various dark spots treatments and removal techniques that will lighten dark spot patches effectively.
There are many approaches that can be used to get rid of dark spots on your skin. We are going to put them to main categories which will be treatments, natural remedies for dark spots, products and creams to use to remove these spots from your skin. Let us begin with treatments for dark spots removal.
Dark Spot Treatments to Cure Dark Spots
- Dark Spot Treatments to Cure Dark Spots
- Best creams for dark spots – Topical Treatment for dark spots lightening
- Best Creams for Dark Spots removal – Topical products to remove dark spots on skin
- Home Remedies for Dark Spots or Dark Spot Natural Remedies
- 1. Papaya
- 2. Sandalwood Powder + Pure Glycerin/ Rose water +Lemon Juice
- 3. Horseradish Herbs + Buttermilk/Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4. Lemon Juice
- 5. Yoghurt Oatmeal + Lemon face mask
- 6. Castor Oil + Vitamin E Oil
- 7. Red Currants & Honey or Parsley/Lemon Juice
- 8. Red Onion Juice
- 9. Red Lentils + Milk
- 10. Liquorice Roots & Honey
- Best Home or Natural Remedies for Dark Spots
- How to get rid of dark spots fast, quickly or overnight?
- Prevention of Dark Spots
- What works best for you?
Some of the treatments for dark spot cure are what you can afford while others will be relatively expensive. These treatments require you to talk to a professional skin care professional or dermatologists before using any of these approaches for getting rid of dark spot i.e. the procedures are done in a doctor’s room.
Laser Treatment or Laser Therapy
Have you been so disturbed with hyperpigmented skin for a long time? Laser therapy is the first effective treatment that will help you get rid of dark patches and spots. Intense light from laser equipment is directed to the areas affected by these spots where the melanocytes cells are destroyed.
For a few hundred Dollars laser assures you of effectively, quick and quality dark spot removal.
Microdermabrasion for dark spots removal
Secondly, apart from laser, getting rid of dark spots could be easy should opt for microdermabrasion. The process entails gently removing the uppermost layer of skin giving way for healthier and newer layer to replace it. This ensures that all darkened spots are done away with.
You require a professional surgeon to carry out exfoliation and removal during the process of microdermabrasion. The average cost in the US could be about 150$ whereas it is even cheaper and affordable in Asian countries.
Not everyone can go for microdermabrasion, your doctor will advise you if you do not pass for it due to other conditions such as warts, psoriasis, active acne, and serious diabetes.
Can Dermabrasion help lighten dark spots
If microdermabrasion is not appropriate to clear dark spots opt for dermabrasion which lies in a bracket of 1,500 – 4,000 US Dollars. This is a costly procedure. However, it gives results you heal. Of course, recovery may take long but after care is required for better skin resurfacing.
Depending on where you want (dark spot scars from acne, sun pigments) to get rid of, this process requires deeper exfoliation. That is, to remove and peel a layer depth of skin together with the cells causing added pigments.
Chemical Peel treatments
In case you have suffered much from sunburn then chemical peels is your answer to get rid of dark marks and spots that results. In this procedure, a substantial top layer of skin made up of mainly dead cells is removed to allow a new top layer of cells to rise and replace the layer with the dark/ spots or patches.
Some of the common peels used include Alpha-hydroxyl acids (AHAs) e.g. trichloracetic acid. Topix Glycolix pads may be used for milder peeling daily purposes.
Your dermatologist will determine if you require deep chemical peels or minor peels in order to clear dark spots with priority.
Best creams for dark spots – Topical Treatment for dark spots lightening
Topical treatments are not only used to cure dark spots, but also reducing and help lighten dark spots. If you have dark spot hyperpigmentation due any of the causes, go for the various topical products that eliminate darkened spots. We will discuss the use of creams to remove these spots as well as some ingredients that are important. Let us begin with ingredients.
Which ingredients should you look for in anti-dark spots creams?
Before looking at the various creams available, let us just focus on general ingredients of topical acid creams and over counter creams that can be helpful.
AHA creams are proven for dark spot lightening and providing moisture for skin. Select alpha-hydroxyl creams with Glycolic acid, Ellagic acid for example Spotlight Skin lightener, Derma E cream.
2. Arbutin Hydroquinone Creams and Serums
Some of the over the counter products contain arbutin or hydroquinone ingredients that if you apply will help in dark spot lightening. It is however recommended to use OTC creams with low concentrations (e.g. 3% hydroquinone) because they are more effective with lesser side effects.
3. Retinol/Retinoic Acid
If you have dark spots from sun damage, apply non-prescription creams with retinoic acid. One good thing with Retinoic Acid dark spot removal cream is that active ingredient retinol reduces chances of having collagen breakdown even after treatment.
4. Lignin Peroxidase enzyme, Licorice and Kojic acid
Topical lightening creams rich in Lignin Peroxidase enzyme, Licorice or Kojic acid can also make your dark spots lighten for a smooth and even skin. Avoid retinoid use if you are planning to have/before treatment and during the whole of pregnancy period.
5. Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory treatments
Use Azelaic acid creams to get rid of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation after acne. Dark spot from acne may be caused by disordered cell growth which can be dealt with Azelaic acid.
These are just but a few of the important ingredients you should look for in any topical product for spot that are dark or some form of hyperpigmentation. Let us now look at some of the best creams to try.
Best Creams for Dark Spots removal – Topical products to remove dark spots on skin
What best dark spot products or creams are there? If you are specifically looking for some of the best for dark spot removal creams and product to give the results you have been yearning for. Some of the best fade cream for dark spots, dark spot correctors, gels and creams.
- Garnier Skin Renew Dark Spot Corrector is super cream to remove dark spots from acne.
- Shiseido White Lucent Intensive Spot Targeting Serum: For a few hundreds of dollars get this serum and corrector.
- Naturale Mega brightening Serum: Whenever you apply Naturale mega Brightening serum as a lightening product for dark marks and spots, always protect the sin with sunscreen SPF30 such as Daytime Defense SPf30 to avoid the harmful heat and light. This serum is mega rich in natural extracted ingredients thus good for hyperpigmented, or acne related problems.
- Vernal N-E Dark Spot Corrector Cream is one of those lightening cream product for dark marks and spots. Apply to the discolored area bordering the dark patches on the body. It comes with balanced ingredients of vitamin C and Zinc that will brighten and give a radiant glow. You can also try Phloretin CF Gel serums.
- Mandelic Arginine Serum: Individuals with dry photo-aged skin, or rosacea will benefit more from arginine skin serum.
The above are not the only good creams, there are many other best dark spot cream correctors and lightening creams include:
- Lancome Bright Expert Dark Spot Corrector,
- Verso Skin Care Dark Spot Fix,
- Murad Dark Spot Remover,
- Origins Super Spot Remover acne treatment gel,
- Clinique spot remover,
- Nia24 Sun Damage Repair,
- Kiehl’s Clearly Corretive Dark Spot Solution
Other best Dark spot Lightening products
Some skin care products for nourishment are very essential in controlling how the skin gets pigmented especially after dermabrasion, microdermabrasion or other exfoliation on skin. There are a good range of products to help in dark spot removal. Some of such products include:
Brightening Skin Cleansers
This will enhance even skin and ensure you have a brighter skin after having laser therapy primary to getting rid of dark spot (melanoma.) Do daily cleaning with skin brightening cleansers for perfect results.
Brightening cleansers have useful ingredients to enlighten and brighten dull skin:
Aminobutyric acid, Kojic acid, Glycerin, Aqua water, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodiium Chloride, etc.
Skin brightening Enzyme lightening Cream
Whether you have already formed patches or pigmented skin all you need is an active skin brightening enzyme. These enzyme products softens and eats away superficial/top skin layer.
Before applying wash, rinse your skin using skin Brightening Cleanser. Let it dry and there after apply a thin layer of the enzyme product onto the skin for about 20 minutes. Discontinue use if need be e.g. irritation or sensitivity.
Home Remedies for Dark Spots or Dark Spot Natural Remedies
If you want to try the natural way, go for the various natural home remedies remove dark marks and spots i.e. home remedies to remove on skin with home remedies. Most of them entail things you can easily get at your home. To be honest, most of them aim at reducing and lightening dark spot occurrences and they take a little longer to give results. Here are the most common and amongst the top 10 home remedies.
You simply need to carefully and gently rub a raw/fresh papaya fruit directly onto the area with dark marks or spots. A daily twice routine especially after bath and before sleep is good enough to see your pimple black spots lighten and fade away.
What makes papaya amongst top 10 home remedies for dark spots unique is the fact that it contains certain enzymes that lighten dark sports fast.
2. Sandalwood Powder + Pure Glycerin/ Rose water +Lemon Juice
Prepare the mixture paste in small proportions. Apply this antiseptic mixture until it dries up. Wash afterwards with cool water. For best results, apply and leave it overnight.
3. Horseradish Herbs + Buttermilk/Apple Cider Vinegar
Horseradish as a natural herb can prevent or reduce dark spots especially for older individuals who have not started developing spots due to age. Prepare your horseradish mixture and leave it rest for 2 weeks. Filter it and apply on your body.
4. Lemon Juice
As home remedy to reduce dark spots use fresh lemon in getting rid of any sun spots.
- Squeeze out some juice from lemon and immediately apply it on the dark spot area using a soft cotton.
- Leave the surface untouched for about 25 – 30 minutes and rinse using cool clean water.
- Do this twice a day for at least 2 months. It is also recommended you offer protection against UVR rays by wearing sunscreen afterwards.
Apart from reducing dark spots, lemon juice can act organic bleacher because of the natural acidity of the juice.
5. Yoghurt Oatmeal + Lemon face mask
Apply readymade yoghurt facial mask to help reduce and at the same time lighten the dark spots. It is a very simple procedure.
- Clean your face and apply yoghurt around the darkened spot area.
- Leave it for just 15 minutes and wash off by clean water.
If you want more instant and best results mix your yoghurt with 2teaspoon oatmeal and handful of fresh lemon juice. Use it before bedtime and apply moisturizer after removing.
Alternatively, use apple cider vinegar and honey instead of buttermilk. Remember to use a Sunscreen (SPF30) or above after applying, to prevent being extra sensitive reaction to the sun’s ultraviolet radiations UVR.
6. Castor Oil + Vitamin E Oil
Castor oil is another product for top 10 home remedies to remove dark spots. Apply castor oil mixture with a clean cotton ball on areas of dark spots. Next gently massage over for at least 5 minutes. Repeat the procedure 2 times each day.
7. Red Currants & Honey or Parsley/Lemon Juice
Use this natural home remedies to remove or lighten dark spots by following these steps:
- Boil unripe red currents and mash using porter.
- Mix a small amount with 1 table spoonful of natural honey.
- Apply this mixture to your skin that is affected with black spots.
- Wash off with help of warm water.
If you wish, lightly pat with diluted lemon juice before applying an appropriate skin moisturizer.
8. Red Onion Juice
Because of the acidic nature of the onion juice truing this home remedy will assist in your efforts to lighten and fade away spots problem. Red onion in particular acts as a natural factor and bleacher.
To facilitate it add a little honey to red onions and apply to dark spot area. Rinse and clear it after 15 or so minutes using warm water and herbal soap to get rid of the onion smell.
9. Red Lentils + Milk
This is an effective method in natural home remedies for dark spots from acne.
- Prepare the paste using a spoon of clean lentils and raw or fresh milk.
- Let it stay overnight.
- Clean your hands and carefully rub the dark spot area on your skin.
- After 20 – 25 minutes soak your hands in cool water and wipe over the place applied.
- Wash off with warm water after 40 mins. Do it once or twice every week up to 3 weeks.
10. Liquorice Roots & Honey
A combination of these two natural remedies for dark spots do-it-yourself have wonderful results. It is the top 10 home remedies included to clear and get rid of dark spots by controlling how melanin pigment should take course.
Best Home or Natural Remedies for Dark Spots
In saying which the best home remedies dark spots is, we considered time and/or effect it takes to substantially have dark spot problem removed. Some of the various natural remedies for dark spots on skin discussed above, qualify to be the most effective ones.
- Sandalwood Powder procedure is one effective natural home remedy because you can remove dark spots within overnights. Sandalwood also acts as an antiseptic therefore gives the body against bacterial infection particularly when there are pimples on your face, hands, etc. about to heal.
- Secondly, do at home remedies for dark spots like Liquorice and Honey or Green Grapes you can turn round the dark spot.
- Think of trying papaya procedure for the enzymes it bears can have wonderful results in your efforts to get rid of dark pigment spots that make your skin look pathetic.
- What about the yoghurt and oatmeal facial mask remedy? You need to do to confirm the response.
How to get rid of dark spots fast, quickly or overnight?
If you need to quickly get rid of dark spots that are a nuisance to your skin then laser therapy or treatment is one of the best. Only 4 or 5 laser treatments are needed for light skinned individuals.
Besides laser, you can also try dermabrasion and microdermabrasion which are also the other best dark spot treatments alternative for natural dark skin. During the gentle scrapping process excess deposits of melanin pigments are removed.
The final fairly faster and best dark spot treatment, go for chemical peels and then creams. Chemical peels will be good for superficial spots while creams might take slightly longer.
Prevention of Dark Spots
Allowing yourself to have dark spot or patches makes you look ugly and may actually lead to premature ageing. It is for you to take the right measures and ensure that you stop dark patches and maintain normal pigmentation. Some of the means you need to start putting into practice in preventing a dark spot free skin is as follows.
- Always apply Sunscreen and serums (SPF 15 and above) e.g. Rhonda Allison’s Daytime Defense SPF30, CE Ferulic to block the sunrays from penetrating and reaching the deep layers of skin if you have to be out.
- Secondly, apply non-comodegenic moisturizers after exfoliation. Doing this means prevention of these spots through recurring skin disorder and boost healing.
- Use Niacinimide or Soy Topical Creams
Replace your old gels and skin products with some of the non-prescription OTCs containing VitaminB3 form of Niacinimide. After applying, the Niacinimide inhibits and suppresses melanocytes cells from moving to the top layers of the skin where they result in dark spot creation.
- You may want to regulate your skin hyperpigmentation by controlling the way melanin is released. So include Algenist Targeted Age Correcting Serum, Rhonda Allison’s Chrono-Peptide, A in your shopping list. Algenist has alguronic acid to prevent excessive melanin production.
What works best for you?
Our hope you learnt and will adapt the various dark spot removal treatments, topical cream products and/ or approaches to lighten dark spots naturally. We hope to get some feedback and possible results from best treatment, cream or home remedies that you tried yourself.
Our Reference and Sources
- How to Get Rid of Dark Spots: http://www.vogue.com/3299439/dark-spot-removal-retin-a-intense-pulsed-light-lasers-and-more/4
- Dark Spot formation and Treatment: http://www.skininc.com/treatments/facial/brightening/Dark-Spot-Formation-and-Treatment-333275501.html
- How to Get Rid of Dark Spots From Shaving: http://www.livestrong.com/article/270271-how-to-get-rid-of-dark-spots-from-shaving/
- 7 Tips to Lighten Dark Spots fast: http://www.grandparents.com/health-and-wellbeing/beauty-and-style/get-rid-dark-spots
- Healthy Beauty – Retinoids: http://www.webmd.com/beauty/aging/retinoids-for-aging-skin
- 10 Best Dark Spot Correctors to Improve Your Skin: http://stylecaster.com/beauty/best-dark-spot-corrector/
- Home remedies to treat black spots, dark spots, acne marks, Pimple scars: https://beautyhealthtips.in/home-remedies-to-treat-black-spots-dark-spots-acne-marks-pimple-scars-on-the-face/