Itchy scalp is a common condition that affects many people, both adults and children. There are several causes of itchy scalp including oily and dry skin, eczema, fungus, bacteria, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and sensitivity to shampoos and other hair care products.
In addition, there many itchy scalp treatments options including shampoos that can be applied to help heal this condition. We therefore have to agree that, the selection of effective treatment option is a vital part of treatment for itchy scalp.
In this review, we’ll share with you the more about the best shampoos for itchy scalp , how to use shampoos on your itchy scalp as well as some of the qualities you should look for in a good shampoo.
What is the meaning of a shampoo?
- What is the meaning of a shampoo?
- Qualities of best shampoo for itchy scalp – how to select a good brand
- Which is best shampoo for itchy scalp?
- 1. Therapeutic Denorex Maximum Itch Shampoo + Conditioner
- 2. Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo plus Conditioner
- 3. Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo
- 4. Zincon Medicated Dandruff Shampoo
- 5. Extra Strength Denorex Shampoo plus Conditioner
- 6. Head & Shoulders Extra Volume Shampoo
- 7. Redken Scalp Relief Dandruff Control Shampoo
- 8. Matrix Biolage Scalpsync Cooling Mint Shampoo
- 9. Jason Normalizing Tea Tree Treatment Shampoo
- 10. Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Shampoo
- 11. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
- 12. Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo
- 13. The Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- 14. Eucerin DermoCapillaire Calming Urea Shampoo
- 15. Philip Kingsley Flaky/Itchy Scalp Shampoo
- How to shampoo your hair and itchy scalp
The word shampoo originated from India during colonial era. In India, various herbs were mixed and used as a shampoo since ancient times. Therefore, shampoo is a product for hair care that is used for cleaning hair. The main goal of using shampoo is to remove unwanted build-up in the hair without stripping out so much sebum as this can trigger scalp dryness.
Usually shampoos are made for specific treatments for instance we have shampoos for people with dandruff, color-treated hair, wheat allergies, for infant and young children. Shampoos are also available for parasite infestation i.e. head lice infestation.
This hair care product is available in the following forms:
- Solid: these are shampoos in the form of a bar just like a bar of soap. They are rubbed over wet hair.
- Paste, Creams: These shampoos are marketed in tubes and jars. They apply faster that solid shampoos.
- Jelly and Gel: these are the stiff, non-pourable clear shampoo to be squeezed from a tube.
Qualities of best shampoo for itchy scalp – how to select a good brand
Shampoos are generally made through combining surfactant (usually sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate) and co-surfactant (most often cocamidopropyl betaine) in water to make thick, viscous fluid. More ingredients are also added to add viscosity, and to act as preservative and fragrance. Other ingredients are also included to increase other fundamental qualities i.e. to make the most of the following qualities:
- minimum skin and eye irritation
- thick or creamy feeling
- lovely fragrance
- little toxicity
- effective biodegradability
- slight acidity (usually pH less than 7)
- no damage to hair
- refurbish of damage already done to hair
- pleasing foam
- simplicity of rinsing
Which is best shampoo for itchy scalp?
We discovered that the best treatment for scalp itch is to approach the specific itchy scalp symptom. In other words, you have to get appropriate medicated and therapeutic shampoo to relieve skin build-up, hydrate the scalp and soothe the irritation.
Remember different ingredients in shampoos will treat different problems and before applying the following shampoos, you must know what is causing your itchy scalp. Remember you can have itchy scalp with or without dandruff, and shampoos applied for these two situations may not be the same. Be careful in choosing the right shampoo or let a beauty expert help you. So which are some of the best shampoos for an itchy scalp?
1. Therapeutic Denorex Maximum Itch Shampoo + Conditioner
This is the real product for those with itchy scalps. It contain powerful ingredients such as coal-tar and menthol. Coal will penetrate the scalp and limit the rapid growth of the skin cells that leads to itching and flaking. It also reduces inflammation and scaling that may be due to psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis. Menthol on the other side cools and soothes the scalp making it feel fresh. This shampoo also have provitamin B5 that condition and hydrate the scalp.
2. Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo plus Conditioner
A certain reader described this shampoo as “happiness in a bottle” and of course, I believe she was right. This product works excellently by clearing the dandruff and taking care of any build-up on the scalp.
This also shampoo help to treat the red itchy scalp and reduce scalp flaking. For sure, I believe this is among the shampoo brands that deserve to be used for an itchy scalp.
3. Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo
This medicated shampoo will help to relieve dry and itchy scalp for any hair type. It clears dandruff and also relieve the headache of flaking on the scalp. The product has sweet smell that will make your hair to smell nicely too. Just try Selsun Blue today for quick itchy flaky scalp relieve.
4. Zincon Medicated Dandruff Shampoo
This shampoo has active ingredient called pyrithione zinc that is also common in other brands. It is a very powerful shampoo for reliving scalp itch fast and it does so by dealing with factors causing dandruff related problems. It also helps in dealing with flaking in the scalp.
5. Extra Strength Denorex Shampoo plus Conditioner
This brand of shampoo has salicylic acid which is particularly aimed at getting rid of heavy flakes and scaling on the scalp. With regular application, Extra Strength Denorex can do away with the outbreak of dandruff.
If is also enriched with provitamin B5 that will make sure that your scalp and hair are hydrated without using any other conditioner.
6. Head & Shoulders Extra Volume Shampoo
After using dozens of other shampoo brands, some users reported that they found relieve of very itchy scalp by application of this product. Head & Shoulders Extra Volume Shampoo has the potential to clear all the dandruff and itchiness quickly. It will also reduce scalp flaking and is proved to work as promised by manufacturers.
7. Redken Scalp Relief Dandruff Control Shampoo
If you are bothered with dandruff that won’t go away then, this product will be the best option. It provides super-fast relieve, I mean just within first application, the annoying itchy scalp will be dealt with. It will also make your hair to smell very sweet and it soft. According to Bestproducts.com, this product is infused with zinc pyrithione and hydro-zone system derived from lavender extract and glycerin soothe your scalp almost instantly.
8. Matrix Biolage Scalpsync Cooling Mint Shampoo
Many readers in the TotalBeuaty.com testify that, this product fight dandruff while still locking in moisture. This of course will help clear itchiness and severe dry scalp. A sample testimony from readers stated that, “It cleans without stripping your hair and it makes your hair feel fabulous and full”.
This product is also ideal for those people with oily scalps. Why don’t to you try it today and also have a story to tell?
9. Jason Normalizing Tea Tree Treatment Shampoo
This shampoo has the tea tree oil that don’t burn the scalp but instead stimulates it. It is also perfect when used to deal with dry, itchy, flaky scalp. This natural itchy scalp preventing shampoo has proved to treat many scalp conditions. Many customers applaud this product for not having harsh chemicals that can irritate the body. Try it to get the very quickest result if you have dry, itchy scalp.
10. Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Shampoo
Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Shampoo is one of the best product ever for calming scalp itchiness and cleaning your hair. It will make your hair shiny and feel fresh all the time. It is also perfect for oily scalp that can result to scalp acne and consequently itching sensation.
In addition, it also destroys bacterial buildup and clear the irritating flakes. This product provides faster and effective result especially for dry and itchy scalp.
11. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
The tea tree oil ingredient contained in this shampoo is highly recommended to combat acne flare ups on the scalp and also calm down the scalp itchiness. One vital thing to great hair is how you care for your scalp. It is very simple, if you have very itchy scalp accompanied by acne, then this shampoo is a good option for you.
12. Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo
This anti-dandruff shampoo work perfectly well for stimulating, conditioning and clarifying your hair and scalp. It helps to control scalp itchiness by fighting away eczema and psoriasis that are the major triggers of itchy flaky scalp. While making you scalp to feel so much healthier, it will also make your hair to come out squeaky clean.
13. The Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
This is a typical anti dandruff shampoo, which is being voted for because of its ability to give your hair fantastic smell and calm itchiness. Apart from doing away with those disgusting scalp flakes, it will also make your hair to look shinier than usual.
14. Eucerin DermoCapillaire Calming Urea Shampoo
TEucerin DermoCapillaire Calming Urea Shampoo is specifically designed to treat dry and itchy scalp conditions. Its ingredients such as urea and lactate will provide your dry itchy scalp the nourishing and care it lacks. Besides soothing and relieving your scalp itching, Eucerin DermoCapillaire Calming Urea Shampoo will give your hair a healthy shine and graceful sensation.
15. Philip Kingsley Flaky/Itchy Scalp Shampoo
This multi-award winning shampoo has been specifically made to alleviate and clear irritated scalps with flakes and any build up. It is a very gentle and a soothing product, mild enough for daily use. Unlike other anti-dandruff shampoos, it does not dry out or strip the hair of color. It is surefire for flaky, itchy scalp.
How to shampoo your hair and itchy scalp
Besides ingredients, you should know that you would only get desired result if you shampoo your hair or scalp correctly. Remember sensitivity to certain shampoo can also be among what causes itchy scalp, agreed? So to relieve your scalp itch and to have healthy looking and shiny hair after shampooing, you must:
- Select the best shampoo for your hair and scalp type. You see; straight hair, curly hair, relaxed or permed, natural hair, colored hair or oily hair. org warns that, “picking the wrong product say a shampoo for greasy hair while you have the dry type will leave you in a worse position than you started with.”
- Be gentle during washing processes (soak your hair in warm water before shampooing and then rinse using cold water)
- Take good care of your hair between shampoos
Warning: daily shampooing is not recommended since it can lead to flakiness, dry scalp and unprotected hair (lacking natural oils that protect it)!
In conclusion, to avoid scalp itch in addition to the above 15 best shampoo for itchy scalp, be sure to maintain a well-balanced diet and limit your stress level.
You may also like
- Itchy Scalp Causes, Symptoms, Pictures, Hair Loss, Treatments, Remedies for Itching Scalp
- Itchy Scalp at Night Causes, Symptoms, Relieve Treatments and Home Remedies
- Homemade Itchy Scalp Remedies, Tips, Symptoms and Causes of an Itchy Scalp
- Itchy Scalp and Hair Loss Causes Menopause, Shampoo, Fungal Infection, Thyroid, Eczema
- Itchy Scalp No Dandruff Causes, Shampoos, Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp without Dandruff
- Best Shampoo for Itchy scalp and Choosing Good Shampoo to Get Rid of an Itchy Scalp with Dandruff
- ITCHY SCALP SHAMPOO: http://www.headandshoulders.co.uk/en-gb/shop-products/dandruff-shampoo/itchy-scalp-care-with-eucalyptus-shampoo
- Best for Itchy Scalps: https://www.realsimple.com/magazine-more/inside-magazine/road-tests/best-shampoos/shampoo-itchy-scalps
- 13 Best Dandruff Shampoos: http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/best-dandruff-shampoos
- 11 Incredibly Effective Shampoos For Dry Scalp You Just Have To Try: http://hair.allwomenstalk.com/incredibly-effective-shampoos-for-dry-scalp-you-just-have-to-try
- Shampoo For Itchy Scalp: https://www.walgreens.com/q/shampoo+for+itchy+scalp
- Best Shampoo for Itchy Scalp: http://www.denorex.com/best-shampoo-for-itchy-scalp
- The Best Shampoos: https://www.realsimple.com/magazine-more/inside-magazine/road-tests/best-shampoos/shampoo-itchy-scalps
- Best Shampoo for Itchy scalp and Choosing Good Shampoo to Get Rid of an Itchy Scalp with Dandruff: http://hair.knowfacts.org/itchy-scalp/best-shampoo-for-itchy-scalp-choosing-good-shampoo-to-get-rid-of-an-itchy-scalp-with-dandruff/