What causes a rash around mouth? A mouth rash can cause discomforts due to the sensitivity of skin around the lip including the lip border or vermilion. Let us briefly look at telling signs and symptoms to help you familiarize with mouth rash.
Signs or symptoms of rash around mouth
- Signs or symptoms of rash around mouth
- The mouth rash – causes
- Baby or toddler rash around mouth
- Red rash around mouth
- Treatment for rash around mouth
Symptoms significant of mouth rash may vary with severity and frequency of eruptions. These signs or symptoms include:
- Redness around the mouth skin
- Formation of dry patches
- Red bumps around mouth or red spots
- Red flaky skin around mouth
These symptoms may be accompanied with itching, inflammation, burning sensation, dry flaky skin or formation of cracks especially on mouth corners. Sometimes there is pain in mouth corners while smiling or opening the mouth due to cracks or blisters.
Blistering is a less common symptom.
The mouth rash – causes
Learn about the possible causes of mouth rashes, skin rashes and conditions responsible.
Contact dermatitis around mouth
Contact dermatitis is an inflammatory skin condition that affects the skin by formation of skin plaques, redness which may be accompanied with bumps.
Main cause of this type of eczema around the mouth include the following triggers.
- Lip stick, liner or gloss
- Shaving creams or gels
- Facial makeup
- Use of mouthwash without proper control
- Facial wash or cleansers
Treatment for contact dermatitis is emphasized by symptoms that do not resolve. Preventive measures can be ideal in dealing with future occurrence of rash on mouth skin due contact dermatitis. These include:
- Use of plain water to wash the face
- Avoiding harsh soaps or facial cleanser
- Over-the-counter antibiotic ointment to keep germs and bacteria at bay
The bottom line is for patients to observe the self-care guidelines such as identifying some of the above triggers and avoiding them at any cost.
This is another skin rash that causes inflammation. Perioral dermatitis as rash is common around mouth and nose. However, it may not involve the lips.
The exact cause of this rash is unknown. However, factors which trigger perioral dermatitis include
- Steroidal creams on long-term use
- Fluorine-containing toothpaste
- Exposure to direct sun or wind
Remedies and treatment
Treating perioral dermatitis is more difficult especially when the symptoms become chronic but self-protection and guidelines or remedies can relieve of symptoms.
- Applying a fragrant-free pure oil or lotion
- Deep moisturizing should be observed
- Stop applying steroids except under the instruction of a physician
Dermatologists use prescription creams if the symptoms do not show improvement or when the condition responds poorly to other treatment remedies.
IMPORTANT: Avoid scratching, pinching or picking since these can invite an infection. Infection worsens the symptoms besides complicating or making treatment difficult.
A rash due to allergic reaction is a body immune response to medication or foods of certain types. Common food allergy sources include fishes, celery, cherry, hazelnut, kiwi, peach, pear, plums and peaches just to mention a few.
Symptoms of food allergy on mouth include
- Swollen upper or lower (or both lips), tongue or inside mouth
- Itchy sensation
- Itchy or scratchy throat
These symptoms can sometimes spread to the ears. The best way to deal with allergic reactions is to identify the allergen source and stop using it, handling or even just touching it.
Other causes of mouth rash
- Hand, foot and mouth disease in children
- Chemical burns is another possible cause of a dry skin rash around mouth
- Acne vulgaris
Baby or toddler rash around mouth
A baby rash around mouth will almost produce similar symptoms or experiences. However, some of the causes we have looked at including eczema (contact dermatitis) can be culprits in many children.
Other causes of rash around baby’s mouth include specific staph infection and contact dermatitis.
1. Saliva or contact dermatitis
In toddlers, a rash due to saliva is attributed to drooling (contact dermatitis) which is very common. The longer the saliva stays on skin the more likely a rash develops. This rash is characteristic of dryness and formation of dry patches. The patches may also appear flaky.
Your baby’s chin or neck may be affected if saliva rolls to down past.
Impetigo a contagious facial rash whose occurrence is common in children. Impetigo is a bacterial (staph) skin infection occurs after the bacteria enters your baby’s body through a cut or physical injury on skin.
Impetigo usually affects the upper lip skin and areas around nose. Fluid-filled blistering is common with this illness.
To avoid discomfort caused by impetigo here are helpful tips.
- Keep your baby or child busy to help them avoid touching.
- Keep the areas clean by washing with a mild antibacterial soap.
- Children with eczema can get impetigo easily.
If babies are given pacifiers as part of playing life, saliva can accumulate which adds up to drooling. According to the BabyCenter Web site, pacifiers cannot serve as a substitute for nurturing or feeding in babies.
If the rash on your baby’s mouth, around nose cannot improve or heal (i.e. keeps on appearing see your health care provider.)
Red rash around mouth
Redness, eruptions, inflammation or red bumps are sometimes symptoms of a mouth rash. What could be the red rash around the mouth signify?
- Perioral dermatitis
- Acne vulgaris
- Contact dermatitis
Keep in mind that perioral dermatitis can easily be confused with seborrheic dermatitis. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that you check with your physician.
Treatment for rash around mouth
Before treating a mouth rash, it is important to consider the symptoms and possible trigger factors. More importantly, you are encouraged to go for diagnosis.
Treating cases of allergic reactions that symptomatize a rash around child’s rash should be done with much caution. If the symptoms cannot resolve on their own your doctor will determine the right form of treatment.
You may also like
- Rash on Legs Causes, Symptoms, Itchy, Remedies and Treatment
- Rash on Arm Causes, Diagnosis, Itchy Rash on Arm Only, Treatments and Remedies
- Rash on Face Causes, Pictures, Red, Itchy, Not Itchy and Remedies
- Rash on Neck Meaning, Causes, Itchy, Red, Bumpy Rash, Diagnosis and Treatments
- Underarm Rash Causes, Pictures, in Toddlers, Treatment and Remedies
- Rash on Hands Causes, on Feet, While Pregnant, Burning, Non Itchy, Bumpy and Cure
- Rash on Body Causes, Pictures, at Night, on Baby, During Menopause, Pregnancy, Symptoms and Treatment
- Perioral dermatitis: https://patient.info/health/perioral-dermatitis-leaflet
- Rash Around Mouth (Lips) Causes, Pictures, Treatment: http://www.healthhype.com/rash-around-mouth-lips-causes-pictures-treatment.html
- Oral Allergy Syndrome: http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome